Delivered right to your inbox!

First Year Teacher Tips

First Year Teacher Tips

I so remember my first year as a new teacher!  I wondered why I was even hired! (Did they not know that I didn’t have a clue how to do ‘this teacher thing’?!)  Yes, I had graduated with a degree, a teaching certificate, and had an idealistic philosophy of education (that had no basis in research or reality).
What I did not have was any idea or training on how to manage my classroom of 30 second graders.
I did not have access to many teaching resources 40 years ago, there was no Google, no Pinterest, no teacher resource stores, and no Teachers Pay Teachers!  YIKES!
Consequently, I learned many most lessons the hard way.  I gradually came to realize that it didn’t matter how great my lessons were – if I did not have the attention of my students – they were not going to learn anything.  I learned from my colleagues and read what ever I could find on teaching and learning.  I started teaching routines and incorporated a motivating classroom management system.  I survived and eventually ‘flourished’.  πŸ™‚
So my tip to first year teachers – search the blog world – learn from those who have figured out how to
do ‘this teacher thing’!  And find the joy in your journey!
Here are some more tips for you from more teachers who care!
Tips for First Year Teachers How to survive as a first year teacher
Check out ‘Taming the Morning Chaos’ for the MOST important routine of the day!

Peggy Means

All posts

17 Comments

• Wise Guys July 19, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Peggy, thanks so much for sharing. As veteran teachers, we need to help out first year educators so they can succeed in the profession. You have some great advice!

• Wise Guys July 19, 2015 at 1:53 pm

• First Grade by the Sea July 19, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Peggy it was so nice to read through some of our friends great advise. It was a good reminder for us "veteran" teachers too. We sometimes get to comfortable in our ways. Thank you for the reminder!
    _ Pauline

• Easy Teaching Tools July 19, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Loved reading these!

• Peggy Means July 19, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Thanks you for the opportunity to be an encourager to new teachers!

• Peggy Means July 19, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Thank you! BTW – could you send that eBook back in time to the 23 year old me? πŸ˜‰

• Peggy Means July 19, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Thanks, Pauline! I really enjoyed reading everyone's words of wisdom too!

• Peggy Means July 19, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Thank you, Kristen! I enjoyed them too!

• Ali July 19, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Lots of great advice! I'm entering my 20th year, and I wish I'd had all the resources I have now back in 1996, when I started teaching. All I had were the things you could buy at the teacher supply store and The Mailbox magazine (which, let me tell you, I got sooooo many good ideas from). I'm glad I can take advantage of it now, and the all the new classroom technology too! Thanks for compiling this list and including me in there too!
    Allison (Ali)
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

• Karen F. July 19, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I am going into my 4th year teaching and have been struggling the whole time.. this is going to be so helpful ! Thank you
    Karen

• Judy Cunius July 19, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I am a first year teacher and I have found things to be a struggle sometimes. My strategy has been to just ask questions until I get several answers and then find what works for me.

• vicky1970 July 19, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Awesome tips you gathered Peggy! :o)
    Vicky
    Teaching and Much Moore

• Peggy Means July 19, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I totally hear you, Ali! I am so thankful for all the resources we have at our fingertips now! Thanks for adding your words of wisdom! πŸ™‚

• Peggy Means July 19, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Karen, I am so delighted that you found these helpful resources! πŸ™‚

• Margaret Duarte July 19, 2015 at 10:25 pm

How interesting that two "Franklin" girls went into teaching, and how both of us, in our own way, are sharing what we've learned over the years with others, I via my fiction, and you via nonfiction (and your blog). Good going, Peggy.

• allison0 July 20, 2015 at 1:46 am

Thank you so much! This blog is so helpful! I am a first year teacher from Illinois, going to be teaching Kindergarten! I love all the advice, and am so grateful for veteran teachers that are willing to take the time and help new teachers!

• Michelle July 20, 2015 at 5:45 am

Thank you so much! I'm a first year teacher and I love all the advice I'm getting! I would love this ebook!